Rejuvenating Mind through K-Pop

Riya Choudhary, Delhi

Once upon a time, there was a non-K-popper, school-going girl. She used to get depressed due to her health conditions. Even though, she had a few friends but still, she would feel alone. Many times, she would cry at night or when she was alone because it was getting harder for her to bear the pain she was going through. All she wanted was someone who could support her mentally and emotionally. She used to feel isolated and upset. And that girl was me!

After years and years of excruciating pain and suffering due to my condition, I stumbled upon K-Dramas one day. My first K-Drama was Boys Over Flowers. Within 2 episodes, my interest piqued and I binge-watched the entire drama shortly. I was drawn towards the OSTs of this drama. The one that is still close to my heart is SHINee’s Stand By Me. This song was on repeat mode in my playlist for weeks. While I was watching it on YouTube, a song’s picture caught my attention and that was Super Junior’s Swing {at that time, I only got to know Super Junior, but it was actually Super Junior’s sub-group Super Junior-M’s song}. And I listened to that song for so many days. And just like that, I fell into this trap and became a K-Pop lover. It’s not a trap, it’s the best thing you’ll ever know!

Video Credits: SM Town

After listening to it for days, I started feeling happier and less stressed. I analyzed the reason for my happiness was K-Pop. It all happened in mid-2014. Fast forward to today, now I am a huge fan girl of so many groups and idols.

K-Pop is not restricted to just one genre, but its an amalgamation of several music styles performed by South Korean Artists. The reason why I love K-pop so much is because it has good music which is unique, catchy, and varied. The concept of songs can range from being surreal, sassy, funky, unique, sweet, heartbreaking, sensuous and so much more. There are many boy and girl groups, as well as solo singers in the South Korean music industry. The groups consist of a variety of amazingly talented members, who generally have to undergo a training period to hone their craft before their big debut. In a majority of groups, there will be a vocal line, a rap line, a group of dancers, visuals, and songwriters. Many, if not all of the members, are talented in more than one area. The music videos/ MVs are beautifully shot, intriguing, and often tell a complex and interesting story. The choreography and synchronisation of K-Pop groups are unmatched and unbeatable. Part of the fun of K-POP is that you keep learning about new sub units (where a few members of a group pursue their own projects). Every one of them, that I have come across so far has been fun and worthwhile listening to, whether it is EXO or Super Junior.

For me, K-Pop gives a soothing relief to my mind. It’s lyrics, storyline, costumes, choreography everything gives me chills and happiness. Most of the time their melodies and beats catch the attention.  I am also a part of many fan-base groups where we discuss and show our mutual love for the artists it is dedicated to. For me, K-Pop has really changed my view of life. It gives me strength and hope. Being a K-Pop fan does not mean listening to their songs only, it’s an overall beautiful journey where we can know the likes, dislikes, and hobbies of artists of the particular groups. Some of you may already have your bias and bias wreckers. The best thing about being a K-Pop fan is that we pursue this additional hobby of collecting our favourite group’s albums, light sticks, and merchandise whether it is official or carved by other fans on a piece of paper to show their love. Sadly, some of my friends sometimes perceive K-Pop negatively and tell that male artists sometimes look feminine because they apply make-up, but that does not stop me from continuing to support K-Pop, because it is so much more than that! Once people overcome their stereotypical perceptions and prejudices, they finally understand that K-Pop is more than just music and songs. Having an acceptance towards another culture and discovering music in a different language is truly the best decision I have taken in my life. K-Pop is that best friend of mine who doesn’t lie or cheat or upsets me, but it is always there for me whenever and wherever I need it, to not only give me comfort but also rejuvenate my mind, and bring happiness in my life.

Can’t Stop!

Won’t Stop!

K-Pop!

Bonus : Here I’m sharing the groups or solo artists I like and follow- Super Junior, EXO, KARD, SHINee, Winner, Blackpink , Twice, Red Velvet, Ateez, MONT, CNBlue, TVXQ, SuperM, Momoland, Lee Hi, Punch, Chungha, BTOB, Monsta X, Amber Liu (Fx), Eric Nam, Jeong Se-woon, Roi (Sung Hoon), Roy Kim, K.Will, Gummy, LOCO, LYN, VIXX, Bumkey, Kim Hyun-joong.

42 Comments Add yours

1. Sanskriti says:

I can feel you. Kpop and kdramas are really escape from daily life.

Liked by 3 people

1. Yess! Thankyou for reading

2. You’ve written so well! And honestly diving into the hallyu world has broadened my taste so much and I’m so grateful for that!

Liked by 3 people

1. Awww… Thankyou for reading

3. Tahoora Charfare says:

Put correctly 💜

Liked by 3 people

4. Seema says:

Very Well written riya, being a kpop lover I could totally feel u ❣️

5. Aasmi The Seeker says:

I was looking forward to start exploring kpop. now i have a list. thanks for sharing your thoughts

1. Means a lot. Glad it helped! Thankyou for reading

6. Ritika says:

What would we even do without kpop?! Stand by me is still my jam! ♡

1. Exactly!!! Thankyou

7. June says:

Very well written ❤

8. Gee says:

1. Glad you felt the same. Thankyou

9. Arella says:

Ikr!! Whenever I’m in a bad mood I either play K-Pop or watch any kdrama!! I’m literally addicted to it now! Well done bub keep it up!

1. Thankyou so much

10. Gee says:

Sooooooo good ❤❤❤❤❤❤…… Love it ……. Kpop changed me in a lot of ways more like I found myself through Kpop thanks unnie for writing such a lovely article

1. Thankyou so much

11. 26aqsakhan says:

Very well said…..Kpop literally becomes an imp.part of life when u get into it….Its the best thing that can happen to you……💕

12. Light says:

Kpop indeed plays a vital role in the life of its listeners

13. Jiya says:

This is soo true!!!
    We have found a way to love ourselves❤️
    Beautifully written!!💜

1. Thankyou so much

14. Siya says:

Also my 1st K-drama is BOF…. 😍😍

15. Rajita says:

Good one

Liked by 1 person

16. Diya sharma says:

Good one girl! Keep shining!

Liked by 1 person

17. Aafreen says:

This is really amazing 😭💜

Liked by 1 person

18. I could connect with this article🥺❤️ well written 👏

Liked by 1 person

1. Aww.. Thankyou so much for reading

19. ojashreya27 says:

So true. Even I wonder at times, what was I doing before k-pop and K-drama. This rabbit whole of Korean music and drama has just made life so much happier and I no longer feel restricted to imagine and dream, whether it’s small or big. The relatable lyrics and content plucksat the heart strings and makes us happier automatically. Related to this article so much🥺💜💜

1. Glad you felt my words! Thankyou for reading

20. Jane L Ralte says:

K-POP really is healing for us isn’t it? Beautiful words MBG.💜 I am so glad you found your antidote in K-POP. I am so new to this universe but so so thankful I found this world or rather, this world found me. Thank you so much for the list, but, may I also suggest Jannabi? 😉 November Rain is one of my fav songs of theirs. Kudos again and more power to you! Sarang Hae💜😘

Liked by 1 person

1. Thankyou for reading. And Thankyou so much for the reccomandations.. I have heard Jannabi’s OSTs though.. will definitely to more

21. TITEEKSHA UMALE says: