Abhilasha Rawat, Pune, Maharashtra
What is Korean Barbeque (KBBQ)?
Korean Barbeque, also known as KBBQ, originating from South Korea, is a family-style meal used to cook various types of meat, vegetables, and side dishes. Different variety of meats are grilled on gas stoves or charcoal grills at the dining table. Side dishes such as noodles, ramen, and pancakes are often served with these meats.
Boneless Chicken BBQ: Dak Galbi
The most popular chicken dish eaten at Korean BBQ places, ‘Dak Galbi’ is either boneless chicken breast or boneless chicken thigh. From marinated to barbeque, ‘Dak Galbi’ is served in various forms either sliced into pieces or as a whole.
1. Kimchi: ‘Kimchi’ is a staple Korean cuisine which is eaten with almost every main dish. From the traditional cabbage kimchi to the white sauce kimchi, KBBQ has a variety of kimchi. Although it might initially taste sour, the taste perfectly complements the grilled meat! ‘Kkakdugi’ (cubed radish/daikon) and ‘Oi Sobagi’ (cucumber) are popular options at KBBQs nowadays.
2. Seaweed: ‘Seaweed’ is served in a variety of forms at KBBQ places. Some popular ways of enjoying seaweed with grilled meats are deep-fried seaweed and seaweed salads made with roasted seaweed, seaweed stems and wakame.
3. Pancake: Known as ‘Jeon,’ pancakes are one of the most popular side dishes at KBBQs. These are savoury pancakes that are pan-fried till crisp. Some classic ‘Jeons’ are ‘Pajeon’ (green onion), ‘Kimchi Jeon’ (kimchi), ‘Gamja Jeon’ (potato) and ‘Haemul Pajeon’ (seafood).
4. Eggs: Whether it’s soy-marinated eggs or a rolled omelette, eggs are a must-have with grilled meat and rice! One of the favourite egg dishes at Korean BBQs is steamed eggs (Gyeran-Jji) that can be made in either traditional or modern Korean style.
5. Potatoes: From sweet and savoury braised potatoes (‘Gamjajorim’) to potato salad; potato-based banchan are a must-have at Korean BBQ places! Filled with vegetables like carrots and peas, potato-based dishes clear your palate for the next meat morsel.
6. Danmuji: These are the yellow daikon pieces used to make kimbap. Crunchy with a sweet and sour taste, ‘Danmuji’ can be really addictive.
7. Cheongpomuk: Made of mung bean starch, ‘Cheongpomuk’ is a jelly dish that tastes like a lemon sorbet. Garnished with sesame oil, soy sauce chilli or/and scallion, it is eaten to cleanse the palate at KBBQs.
8. Fried fishcake: An essential stir-fried dish at Korean BBQs, ‘Bokkeum’ or fried fishcake have an almost pasta-like texture. With a rich sweet and savoury glaze, these are common banchan.
9. Kongnamul: Seasoned soybean sprouts are a must-have! Seasoned with sesame oil, soy sauce, scallions and garlic, ‘Kongnamul’ pairs perfectly with all grilled meats.
What do you think of Korean Barbeque (KBBQ)? Have you ever tried it? What are some of your favourite dishes? Which side dish is your go-to? Let us know all of your thoughts in the comment section below!